2015 FIRST Build Log: Week 5

16475722995_085d9ff134_o

Day 27:

Monday, February 2nd, 2015

Today we continued making adjustments to the claw, making it as good as possible unfortunately, the current bracings are not strong enough to keep totes parallel to the ground. The design team added a few final changes to the electronics board, making holes in the physical plate that would hold the electronics to lighten the weight. The plate drawing with dimensions and specifications was submitted to machining. Meanwhile the programming team worked on developing code for our theoretical lift.

 

Day 28:

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015

Today our order from West Coast Products finally came in, so we unpacked and took inventory. Unfortunately, we were missing some parts so a second order was made. We will be getting this order, along with our backordered parts at the end of the week. We also got lots of our custom back from machining. This includes our custom axles to fit our drive train and our robot frame, now with half of our lift attached.

Meanwhile the design team continued to finish up drawings for the electronics board structure. The programmers continued to inspect their PID program. The build team mounted the gearboxes, pulleys and wheels onto the chassis using our custom machined axles.

 

Day 29:

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015

With the drawings for the electronics board structure finished, the build team started work on the bracing of the electronics board that will be mounted to the back. The builders also attached bracings to the claw to keep the arms from bending down when picking up totes. Meanwhile, the design team finished the drawings for the battery plate. The programming team continued to update their PID code, but unfortunately did not get the change they expected.

 

Day 30:

Thursday, February 5th, 2015

The build team cut out the battery plate, but made a mistake and cut the plate too short. The plate drawing was submitted to machining so it could be remade, along with our sponsor plate. Meanwhile the programming and wiring team worked on setting up electronics on our electronics board. We ended the day with chicken katsu and noodles.

 

Day 31:

Friday, February 6th, 2015

Today we got our electronics plate and battery plate back from machining. the build team got straight to drilling holes and mounting the plates. The programming team continued to troubleshoot their program, but found little success. Meanwhile our awards team got back to work compiling previous reports. We also got our sponsor plate and some LED lights, so we started planning places to light up our robot.

Today we also received our long awaited tool chest. This will help us keep the auto shop safe and organized. Tonight we got lots of food from our parents and supporters.

 

Day 32:

Saturday, February 7th, 2015

Today we worked primarily on moving electronics from the kit robot to our electronics board. We labeled and organized each element to be as neat and easy to track. Meanwhile some of our members transferred tools to the our brand new tool chest organized by their function. We also got the top part of our lift back and attached it to the bottom half to completing our 6 foot tall frame. At the end of the day we had our electronics board complete with standoffs to hold the acrylic sponsor plate. Unfortunately, the holes didn’t line up, so this would have to be addressed the next day.

 

This week was an overall productive 5th week, but we have lots of work to finish. Next week we must finish mounting all the motors, the claw, pulley mechanism, wire and program the robot. Then we must finish autonomous and get our driver as much practice as possible. Its crunch time.